Life certificate

If you live outside the Netherlands and receive an AOW pension, the Social Insurance Bank (SVB) may ask you for a life certificate to prove that you are still alive. 

Life certificates are also known as:

  • proof of life certificates
  • proof of life declarations
  • declarations of existence

Life certificate form

The SVB will send you a life certificate form by post or digitally via your Message Box (Berichtenbox) that you must:

  1. complete
  2. having officially signed
  3. return to the SVB. 

Have the form signed

The form must be officially signed when you have completed it. The form you receive from the SVB will explain who you can ask to sign it. You must visit the person who is to sign the form.

You can in any event ask:

If there are other options specified on the form, you can, for example, go to a notary. However, be aware that you will need to have the form translated and legalised. There is a fee for this service.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it may not be possible to have an embassy or consulate-general sign a proof of life certificate/declaration, or certain restrictions may apply. Check the online appointment system to see whether it is possible to make an appointment. If no appointments are available, it means it is not possible to visit the embassy or consulate-general.

Return the form to the SVB

When your completed form has been signed, you must return it and any supporting documents to the SVB. There are two options:

  • upload the form in   MySVB (information in Dutch) using your DigiD or another EU-approved login key;
  • send the form to: SVB, Postbus 40280, 3504 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands. 


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to  contact us.