Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Benin

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Benin, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Cotonou.

Residents of Nigeria can also submit their applications at the Netherlands Embassy in Cotonou, Benin (in French) or at the Netherlands Embassy in Accra, Ghana.

On the day of your application you have the option to either wait during the process of application (this takes up to 15 days), or to request to take your passport so you can return to your country. Passports can then be sent to the embassy  via DHL to continue the application process. After completion, you need to arrange for DHL to collect your passport at the embassy in Cotonou and return it to you.

Important notice!

If the EU travel ban has been lifted for the residents of your country, you can apply for all visa categories. If the EU travel ban has not been lifted for the residents of your country, you can only apply for a visa if you fall under the exemption categories. Check the page " Q&A's Travel restrictions for the Netherlands" to see for which countries the EU travel ban has been lifted and what the exemption categories are. You cannot apply if the embassy/consulate general is not open for service. Please check if you can make an appointment via the appointment system. Are there no dates available? Then it is not yet possible to submit an application.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

The Netherlands embassy in Benin advises to make your appointment for a visa at least 3 weeks before your planned departure date.

Make an online appointment to apply for your visa.

Check the status of your application.

Check our contact page for contact details and opening times.