Legalisation of documents from Belarus for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Belarus in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Belarusian authorities. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Belarus can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the Belarusian authorities where you can get these documents.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can only get an extract of your own birth certificate. In special cases, parents can get an extract of their child’s birth certificate. Ask the Belarusian authorities for more information.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get a certificate of unmarried status from the civil status records office in the municipality where you live.

Where can you have your document legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Belarusian Ministries of Justice, Foreign Affairs or Education. You can find the addresses on the site of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH). This website is in English.

Once your document has been legalised with an apostille, it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

As of 1 September 2019, the Consular Service Center (CDC) will no longer be able to help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised in Belarus.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.