Legalisation of documents from Bahrain for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Bahrain in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Bahraini Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Bahrain can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

  • Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can request official copies of certificates from the birth and death registers at

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get an official copy of a marriage certificate  (Islamic marriage via the Sunni or Shi’a Court or Christian marriage in a church) from the Ministry of Justice, Islamic Affairs and Endowments.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

Muslim divorce

You can get an official copy of your divorce certificate (both Sunni or Shi’a Court) via the governement site of Bahrain.

Christian divorce

You can get an official copy of a christian divorce from the Ministry of Justice.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can go to a public notary.

Where can you have your document legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Bahraini Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH). After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can not help Dutch nationals to have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.